In our quest for healthier living, Kyle and I have made changes to our lifestyle: from eating healthier foods to exercising regularly. We haven't quite gotten the "regularly" down yet, but we're working on it! Since there's not always a day when we're both free and the weather isn't bad outside, I've decided to workout using the Insanity DVD set Amber lent me when she left for college last fall.
On Monday I gave the first DVD in the series a go. Plyometric Cardio Circuit. Basically, it strengthens your muscles while giving you a nice cardio workout. AKA a great butt-kicking routine. The DVDs are nice because they give you a warm up, stretch session, interval routines, cool down, stretch session - with water breaks exactly when you need them. They also encourage keeping form over speeding up (which you're supposed to be doing as each routine progresses through the intervals) and taking rests when you need them. Monday was a dismal start. I was so out of shape that I only really participated in the warm up, stretches, and water breaks. Pretty pathetic. So I made a goal to "complete the first DVD from start to finish in 3 weeks."
My calves were extremely sore the next day...I was walking awkwardly... And they were sore again yesterday... This morning they were just a little bit sore so I decided to start up the DVD again. I'm really proud of myself for completing 36 of the 42 minutes on the DVD (the last routine killed me; lots of quads and some abs...I did the first interval and then spent a lot of time in child's pose). I think from now on I'll continue with the rest of the series (they have a calendar all laid out) at my own pace (so...not on the same time frame they give) and with all of the different exercises, I should be able to complete my goal.
I was so proud of myself for completing as much as I did, and thought Kyle would be just as excited for me.
Jasmin: I completed 38/44 minutes!** And I sweated up a storm.
Kyle: Well good work. :) Now go shower.
Jasmin: I was expecting a little more enthusiasm...
**I thought the DVD was 44 minutes long and I know I missed 6 minutes, but I looked it up and the DVD is only 42 minutes, which means I completed 36/42 as stated above.



I did the Insanity DVD set about a year ago, and it was tough! It gets easier, though, I promise. The first time I did it, I also could not finish the DVD. By the end of it, I tried doing some of the DVDs from the first half and they actually seemed easy - you'll get there, too! And you'll feel great!!
ReplyDelete