On the weekend, I'm more likely to sleep in...which means I don't get to eat breakfast. This is kind of normal since I usually can't make myself get up to eat breakfast during the Fast (yes, that means I fast for more like 20-24 hours than the usual 12), but it also stinks just the same. Also, the only thing I do on the weekend is study. During the week I'm busy with class, studying, driving to and from places, getting groceries, making dinner, etc. On the weekend, I sit in one place and study. I can't go to Starbucks because I wouldn't feel comfortable sitting and studying for 6 hours without buying anything (since I can't eat/drink it)...I wonder if the employees would say something to me...or kick me out... I'm slightly fatigued from fasting, my stomach is telling me to eat something, and I'm supposed to try to study.
It's definitely a good lesson in self-discipline. And those hunger pangs actually help me bring back my focus - reinvigorating my soul. Every time I get to feeling hungry and think "ok, why am I doing this again?", I look to the Bahá'í Writings for answers and I find purpose, contentment, and joy. And so while my body is checking The Weather Channel for the time of sunset each day (they also give a cool little countdown":
My mind and soul are content. I'd like to leave you with this beautiful quote from the Bahá'í Writings:
"The wrong in the world continues to
exist just because people talk
only of their ideals, and do not strive to put them into practice. If
actions took the place of words, the world's misery would very soon
only of their ideals, and do not strive to put them into practice. If
actions took the place of words, the world's misery would very soon
be changed into comfort..." ~`Abdu'l-Bahá




No comments:
Post a Comment