Tonight, Kyle invited our friend, Hootan, over to play video games. Hootan bought Kyle Modern Warfare 3 many moons ago but was too busy studying anatomy (he's a first year med student) to take the time to play. Now that he's cruising in neuro & behavioral sciences, he finally had a chance to sit down with Kyle and play. Woo hoo! Since it was already pretty late (7pm) and we hadn't eaten dinner yet, I figured we'd feed Hootan whenever we got around to eating. Then 7pm became 7:30pm and we still had no dinner plans on the table. I decided to make a Chicken & Spinach Pasta Bake and since there would be so much food, we invited over Sam, Scott, and Alex (M2s who live in our apartment complex; they also happen to be our good friends). This was the first time we had six people at the dinner table! We pulled it out from the wall and used the desk chairs to cap the ends of the table. Luckily, I made banana bread the other day, my mom sent us home with poppyseed bread the other night, and Sam had given us some brownies yesterday (plus, Sam & Scott brought a tub of ice cream). It was a very fun night with our boys (minus Steve & Adil) and the food was...interesting.
I've made the Chicken & Spinach Pasta Bake before and it was awesome. Kyle really liked it, which is always a win in my book. For some reason, my brain hasn't been fully functional lately. I'll share some stories about that later. One of the reasons I say this is because I've been having cooking/baking mishaps. I'll miss one thing in a recipe and this is not something I normally do. It's not something I've ever really done. Which, of course, is why it terrifies me. I don't know if it's the stress of med school or if I'm actually going insane, but it needs to stop. Tonight, I made the dish according to the recipe, and I popped it in the oven. I thought it was interesting that the pasta noodles were supposed to cook while baking (covered), but I went with it. I mean, it worked the first time I made it... Of course, the noodles came out semi-cooked, semi-crispy. It turns out I missed that very first line in the recipe where it says to cook the pasta first... OOPS. So I quickly cooked up the remainder of the pasta in the box (the other half) so that guests would be able to pick out the crispies and add in the fresh stuff. Our friends are so awesome...they just ate the crispy pasta bake. Scott even said that they were the best dry noodles he'd ever had. :) Gotta love good friends!
After our smorgasbord, we took each other's blood pressure. Typical med student post-dinner conversation. Just kidding! Scott, Sam, Alex, and I all have our complete history & physical exam clinical skills test tomorrow so it was good practice. Then, Hootan went home to bed, Alex went home to play MWF with Kyle, Sam, & Scott (via XBOX Live). Sam & Scott are taking turns...I don't really know what's going on...but they're having fun and that's all that matters. :)
![]() |
| Kyle, Sam, & Scott playing MWF online with Alex. |
It's nights like these that make me feel content with life. When everyone's able to just sit back and relax a bit before getting their study on. Sometimes I think about how things will be in the future - when we'll be spread out across the country for residencies...and future jobs...and I hope that we'll be able to remember the good times we had together in med school.




No comments:
Post a Comment