PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, July 2, 2012

Extended Weekend Recap

After dropping Kyle off at the airport Wednesday night, Zarrin invited me over to hang out.  It's nice having friends in town (that aren't med students who are busy studying), especially ones that are basically your sisters.

The final Gems of Virtues board.

Wednesday night I helped Zarrin make some decorations for her wedding and then we played Gems of Virtues with her fiance and parents.  Her dad won (of course, he always does), with Josh taking second by one point.  Zarrin beat me by one point, and Suzy took last.  They invited me to spend the night but since I hadn't brought anything to change into (or my study material) I declined and headed home to sleep all alone in our big cozy bed.  However, I had rented two movies right before Kyle got home from work that day (free promo codes for Redbox) so I decided I needed to watch them before going back to Zarrin's.  I decided to watch Man on a Ledge since it wasn't supposed to be scary (and I was home alone at night), and saved Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1 for the morning.  Of course, after watching Man on a Ledge I wasn't exactly tired...so I studied to make myself sleepy. :)

The next morning (Thursday), I watched Twilight and worked on some lectures before heading over to their house.  Then we spent the afternoon doing "homework" - me studying, Zarrin working on her thesis.  Fun stuff!  Zarrin made these delicious gluten-free pizzas for dinner:




After din din we relaxed and played a good game of Disney Charades!  Zarrin and I determined that Josh needed to see Hercules again since he didn't remember the characters that came up on his turn.  Good ol' VHS, complete with 'rewind'!

Josh acting during Disney Charades.

The bride- & groom-to-be watching Hercules.

That night, I had my first sleepover with only Zarrin.  Zarrin is two years younger than me, so growing up I was always really close to Asi (4 months older than me) and Zarrin was her tag-a-long little sis.  It's nice that when we get older, age doesn't really matter anymore - everyone's getting married and having babies! ;)

Friday morning we got up and started working again.  I finally finished reviewing the first unit of Organ Systems and started quizzing myself.  I remember a lot more than I did last year, so I guess that's a good sign!  After studying for a bit, I noticed a 50% off everything at Ann Taylor LOFT coupon sitting in my inbox.  We decided we had to check it out, so the ladies plus Josh and Asad (Zarrin's brother) headed out shopping.  Our final shopping destination was a place called Savers which I had never been to before.  It's a second-hand shop and there were some pretty nice items in there - I just didn't have any money to spend so I refrained.  In the end, I bought a pair of nice Naturalizer black dress flats for $8 (while consulting via text with Kyle, his sisters, & his mother).  My black flats are from 3 years ago, made it through a year of walking the streets of Addis Ababa plus two years of med school skills sessions & clinic volunteering, and are on their way out.  I've been looking for a pair to replace them but just couldn't justify spending the money...but for $8, you can't go wrong!

My favorite find of the day was this gorgeous vintage sewing machine desk!  The machine wasn't connected to the pedal, but I wonder if it would be possible to get it up and running (without too much hassle).  The price was $50 and I just thought it was too cool for school, so I took several pictures:

Vintage sewing machine desk.  Still folds correctly!

Most recent patent: 1913.

Built-in wooden ruler.

Functional drawers.

After our grand adventure at Savers, we headed to Chipotle for dinner - Asad & Josh had never been before!  Zarrin had the opportunity to experiment with a burrito bowl since the tortillas at Chipotle are wheat and not corn (therefore not gluten-free) and everyone loved their meal - which is a really good thing because Zarrin's brother-in-law loves Chipotle and they are coming back from China in a week! [I'm assuming Niyaz will want some Chipotle while he's here.]  After dinner I helped Zarrin & Josh work on their place setting name tags for guests - very cute!  I really love being able to help others with their wedding prep because I did virtually nothing for our wedding - big thanks to my mom, Mary, Bre, Jaleh, Emily, Amber, & Karsen!  This is my way of paying it forward. :)

Name tags for place settings.

I spent Friday night back in our apartment, all alone again.  Saturday was my big & elaborate plan that ended up working out and being a pretty awesome evening.  Sunday I came back to our apartment and did a lot of random things...like writing that blog post, researching sewing machines, checking out electric grills (our apartment complex won't let us use charcoal or gas), organizing my contacts in Gmail (I had imported contacts from my old account when we got married and never went through to merge duplicate entries, etc. until now), and I don't even know what else...  There was a nap somewhere in there.  And during that nap another big storm hit town - I woke up thinking someone was flinging pebbles at our window.  Due to the storm, our friend's flight was delayed (I needed to pick him up from the airport) which meant that my time hanging out with Mackenzie (I was supposed to hang out with her between our friend's arrival and Kyle's arrival - 6:30pm to 11pm) was cut short.  He ended up getting in around 7:45pm and Kyle's flight was delayed til 12am, so it all worked out in the end.  Of course, as I was driving to Mackenzie's house, the van 'ding'ed to tell me it was out of gas.  I had checked right before I left and it had 1/8 a tank left.  Silly car.  Luckily my mom's van has a gauge that says how many miles the tank has left - 46 miles - so I knew I could make it to Mackenzie's and just get gas on my way home.  However, on the way home, the gas stations near where she lives were all closed!  So I got really nervous (I didn't want to break down on the side of the road two days in a a row; plus Kyle's flight was already really late and he needed to work in the morning) and kept watching the miles tick down to 16...and then I found a gas station that was open!  Well, it looked closed...but the  screens on the pumps were lit so I pulled in to check closely.  Sure enough, it was open...it was just super creepy.  I pulled out my phone just in case I needed to make a run while it was pumping or something...so sketch!  But my tank was filled and my husband was landing, so it all worked out in the end!

S'mores with Mackenzie.

All in all, it was a pretty good extended weekend without Kyle.  But I'd rather have him around. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment