PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

D.C. Day 3

Bright and early on the metro.

Our third morning in D.C., we all woke up bright and early.  I mean super early [especially considering we were on vacation].  Emily needed to get to the airport...in Baltimore...and Amber & I needed to get to the U.S. Bureau of Engraving & Printing and the Holocaust Memorial Museum for the free timed tickets they give out every morning.  This means we got up at around 6am.  It was crazy, it was hectic, it was hot outside!  

Waiting for tickets for the Bureau of Engraving & Printing

After we quickly got the tickets to see how our U.S. dollars are made, we sat in line at the Holocaust Museum.  For two hours.  It was already hot at 8am, so I quickly located a Starbucks on my phone.  It wasn't too far away, so I ventured on over to grab us some icy drinks for our long wait.  I broke a sweat after one block; I've never ordered more than a grande at Starbucks, but that day called for some extra fluids so I went for my first venti.  By the time I got back with Amber's vanilla frappuccino (or whatever it was), I had already finished half of my passion iced tea.  Oops.


We waited in line, baking in the humid heat of the early morning, but we got those tickets!  We met up with everyone and went into the Holocaust Memorial Museum to look at the small side exhibits before going to the tour of the printing facility.

The flags of the 20 U.S. army divisions active in liberating
Nazi concentration camps.

The printing tour was pretty cool to see.  Definitely won't do that again until we have kids, but it was a nice learning experience.  The Holocaust Memorial Museum is probably one of my top three favorite things in D.C.  I always cry, and I always hope that the people around me feel motivated to help change  the world and stand up for those who are oppressed.

This visit to the Holocaust Memorial Museum was more of an adventure than last time.  I kept reconnecting with members of our group throughout the various levels of main exhibit.  At one point, Amber and I were together after everyone else had passed us.  The next thing I knew, she wasn't by my side anymore.  A few minutes later, I received a text from my mom saying everyone was ready to leave and to meet them at the entrance so we could get food.  I left what I was looking at and passed by a room that had something I was really looking forward to; I kept walking through the exhibit, trying to make my way towards the entrance of the building.  Then I stopped.  I had waited in line for two hours in the heat to get these tickets for us all and I was not going to leave until I was good and ready to leave!  I texted my mom and told her to go on without me.  Unfortunately, I didn't turn around and go back to where I had left off.  I continued from where I stood, taking my time to read everything.  That exhibit is so powerful.  I love it.

Once I got to the end, I had some texts from my cousin, Nazy, confirming our plans for the evening (it was her husband, Jon's, birthday!).  While coordinating with her via phone outside the Holocaust Memorial Museum, it began to rain.  Yikes.  Of course, just moments before the rain actually came down, I received a text from my mom asking if Amber was with me.  Why would Amber be with me?!  Mom said everyone was done and ready to eat!  I switched into protective big sister mode and quickly tried to text Amber and mom to see what was going on.  Then the rain started coming down.  And Amber was in the building, she had just finished the main exhibit.  I told her to wait inside and I made it through the doorway unscathed by the rain.  Man, it rained.  It poured.  It was a storm outside.  But Amber and I were reunited and safe indoors!

Our plans for the evening kept changing.  Nazy was going to pick the two of us up and then pick up some of the rest of our group from the restaurant they were at.  Then the rain stopped and there was traffic, so Nazy wanted Amber and I to meet her further North of where we were.  Amber and I walked with haste to get to the location in time.  Then we realized one of the roads was blocked off near the Holocaust Memorial Museum.  We changed the meet-up destination once more to avoid the traffic due to the road closure.  Then, mom and the gang decided they would take the metro to Dupont Circle which is close to where Nazy lives.  Of course, they didn't tell us this before making the decision, so we couldn't talk them out of it.  Nazy got us back to her apartment and then went to try to pick them up from Dupont Circle.  It turns out the group just walked from Dupont Circle without telling us [again] so they got back before Nazy did!  It was a lot of crazy chaos, and Amber & I got a nice workout in.

Nazy & Jon had a delicious feast prepared for us and Jon's mother, sister, brother-in-law, and niece were already in town so it was nice to see them as well!  After dinner, some junior youth from a local junior youth group stopped by for dessert.  It was so nice to be together with everyone; lots of love and smiles!  Man, reminiscing has me missing my cousin so so much!

All in all, it was a pretty great day.  I got a chance to spend some quality time with my baby sis, see two of my favorite things in D.C. (Nazy & the Holocaust Memorial Museum), and I tried my first venti drink at Starbucks.  :)

Not really sure what was going on.
It was hot?

Heading home on the metro.

1 comment:

  1. Awwww you're such a sweetie! That was such a fun evening!!!!! And that rain indeed was crazy. You guys were such troopers to add on Activity #4235 of coming to our place to your day, but we absolutely loved having you there :) naz

    ReplyDelete