Yesterday, Kyle and I headed down to my hometown for an
Education Under Fire event. Two weeks previously, Emily and I spoke at the City Council meeting, inviting members of Council and the community to the event which was held at the University. With our perfectly timed, tag-teamed speech, we were really proud of ourselves that day. I think our parents were pretty proud of us, too. Anyway, yesterday Kyle and I took three of our friends to the event. It was a really bizarre experience for me, simply because I was very informed of the Education Under Fire movement and a majority of the people in attendance had no idea that there was religious persecution in Iran. I mean, I knew it would be that way...but to hear people fired up about the injustices and saying that we should act - that was pretty cool. I just don't know if anyone would actually follow through with some sort of action. Luckily, Emily and the sponsors of the event had hardcopies of the letter for the
Drive to 25 where people could just write their names and email addresses and the sponsors would input the information for everyone. The purpose of the Drive to 25 is to get 25,000 people to sign a letter to seven Iranian leaders urging them to end their injustices.
After the event, we took our friends out to the local ice cream place and then back home for mom's homemade peach cobbler. Yum yum yum! She even sent the three boys home with leftovers (oh, and us, too). I love my mom. :)
This is the little email I got from her today:
Best. Mom. Ever. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment