PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, January 21, 2013

My [New] iPhone

I've had my new iPhone 5 for over two months now, so I figured it's time to hold up to my word that I would write about it 'soon' [which really meant 'after exams'].  To be brief: I love it.  There was nothing challenging about the switch from Android to iOS.  Sure, the keyboard is a little different but it took merely a few minutes of use for me to get back up to speed.  It's nice that the screen is so big (Kyle's phone now feels miniature in comparison) but I have little hands so my only complaint is that when I want to open an app that is on the left in the top row, I have to pause, adjust my hand position, and concentrate on not dropping my phone while tapping the icon (or switch to using two hands). Obviously I can't complain too much about this since all smartphones are pretty much this tall/long now.  Everything else has been peachy keen!

Now as to why I made the switch. First, let's take a journey back to when I got my previous phone - July 2010.  I had just gotten back from Ethiopia after a year of service where I used a basic Nokia phone for my text and voice needs.  When I was in undergrad I had been very involved in student organizations and was used to getting 20-50 emails a day.  I felt that it was time to upgrade to a smartphone for this as well as the fact that it would be nice to look stuff up whenever I wanted since there were bound to be things I did not know/understand daily in med school.  On top of this, having a GPS in the same device would be handy and save some money.  I had always appreciated the iPhone for it's beauty although I hadn't spent too much time using one.  Unfortunately, Verizon did not carry the iPhone at that time so I was left with Android options.  Kyle and I did some research on the matter while we were still in Ethiopia and determined that the HTC Incredible (first generation) was my best bet.  I had that phone for over two years and it was stuck with the Android Froyo OS since HTC wasn't updating it anymore.  It would glitch, it randomly started deleting photos from my phone so I had to upload pics to my Picasa/Google+ account as soon as I took them, I had to get an extended battery four months after getting it since it ran down the battery so quickly, and in the month or two before I upgraded my phone it stopped making phone calls.  It could call someone only if I typed in the number, not if I tapped on their name.  Let's be honest: the only numbers I know by heart are my family's, Kyle's, and the Modarai's home phone.  It was truly time to let that phone go, but I didn't know what to do!  iPhones are so pretty, but they lacked features that are found in Android.  Android phones generally don't have as long of a battery life as iPhones.  Android phones are big.  iPhones are small.

I was left looking at the Samsung Galaxy S3 and the iPhone 5.  I have never liked Motorola's phones and Samsung was putting out a quality product.  But the iPhone 5 is so pretty!  It all came down to features.  When I realized what iOS 6 could do, I was sold.

I wanted to see my agenda without having to open my calendar - done!  Just check the notifications.

I wanted to see what the weather was like without opening an app - done!  Just check the notifications.

I wanted to have voice navigation on my phone for free - done!  Google Maps.  It came out a month (or so?) ago and I've never reverted to Apple Maps.  Thank you, Google.  Apple Maps is ok, but my only complaint is that my position is not as accurate as it was on my old phone.  If I'm driving, it does not keep up with where my car is on the road, it's a few feet back which means it tells me to do things after I already should have.  Very annoying.  If I'm going 25 mph, it is dead on...otherwise, I definitely need to know the directions before I leave the house.  Hence, complete reliance on Google Maps.  I also love the info integration with Google Maps (which is an improvement from what I had on my Android phone).  I need to pull up directions to a restaurant; oh, and while I'm at it I should probably check it's hours - all done in one screen.  Bam.  Awesomeness.

I wanted to have fully functioning Google apps like Drive, Gmail, and Blogger - close! I love the Gmail & Drive apps (Drive just updated in the past couple weeks to be as functional [maybe more] as the Android app) but it's annoying that the Blogger app doesn't have the ability to use bold/underline/italics (especially when the Gmail app has these functions).  Google Chrome is AWESOME! I love being able to view stuff I have open on my computer and my bookmarks.  Excellent work, Google!  I wasn't able to appreciate this on my old phone because it wasn't available or something bizarre (since I wasn't able to upgrade past Froyo).

Passbook is pretty cool.  I believe Google is coming out with a similar (but more complete) concept.  This wasn't a reason why I switched to iPhone, though...just a little perk that I use every time I study at Starbucks.

Man, it's been so long since I got the phone that I can't remember if there were other reasons why I made the switch.  Maybe Kyle can remind me.  Or just tell you.  Who else was rolling on the floor laughing yesterday from his awesome post?  I know I was!

Anyway, I'm very happy with the switch and I love my pretty phone.  You can't really see how pretty it is since it's covered in an aqua blue/mineral blue Otterbox Commuter but at least my phone is safe!  I also really love my lock screen:

Free printable found here.

Will I ever go back to Android?  Who knows.  I'm not going to pretend I'm a die-hard Apple fan (even though we own two Macbook Pros, two iPhones, and an iPad with no PCs in the house).  I appreciate the design of Apple's products and right now the software has been working well.  As I mentioned early, I heavily use Google's applications: Blogger, Maps, Drive, Chrome, Voice, Chat, Calendar, YouTube...so who knows where my next upgrade will take me.

For Kyle's list of recommended apps, check here.  Hopefully I'll sit down and write up my list soon.  But of course, "soon" may mean "after Step 1" for all I know.  ;)

1 comment:

  1. I'm super torn between an iPhone and a new android. I love my android! And with the right apps, I have my agenda and weather on my home screen, and all the great google apps that you love too! So I have no real reason to switch to Apple when android has everything I need/love. Only thing is I feel like I'm the only one in our class without an iPhone. Great review though!

    ReplyDelete