PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Friday, September 28, 2012

Cheerleaders in Full Force

Now that my exam is over, I can finally sit down to write the post I've been thinking about all week.  Drowning in books, notes, highlighters, colored pens, hot tea, Starbucks, room temperature lunches, Excel spreadsheets, PDFs, and Word documents, there were some pretty awesome cheerleaders helping me keep my head above it all this week.  This post is my tribute to all of those lovely, wonderful people.  Thank you.

In no particular order:

Shireen - Tuesday evening I received a random text of good luck.  It made me smile and warmed my heart.  I was finishing virology and antimicrobials that night, and her text helped me push through.  It also helped me remember my fellow classmates and I paid it forward by texting well wishes to some that I'm close with.

Hootan - my texting quiz buddy.  There were definitely a handful of questions that I got right today because you asked me.  I also hope you figured out that question was talking about Smallpox today (I tried my best!).  Not only do we quiz each other, but I get a lot of encouragement from Hootan and we're going to get through this together!

Alex - for the random text of good luck today that made me smile, "Show those bacteria who's boss."  I did!  Or, I tried!  We'll see come Monday who was boss.

Scott - for being an awesome SI leader.  He holds a group study session every week (Shireen & Steph go, too!) and it has been extremely helpful.  I'm pretty sure it's one of the reasons for my success this year, and I've been bummed that I couldn't attend these past two weeks due to CCC obligations.  Wednesday after his session, while I was at clinic, he texted me some more luck!

Jaleh - for sending me a random good luck text yesterday.  She also sent me one a few weeks ago, so a little bit of extra awesomeness.

Bre - for sending me a picture of her iced coffee (I think?) and laptop, like when we used to "study together" from coffee shops 800 miles away with a nice "happy studying :) xo" message.  Plus the "Bon chance!" today.  I'm assuming that means "Good luck!" in French...

Leo - for sending me a good luck text right after I got out of the exam.  :)  But really, I was super excited because Leo never texts me of his own accord...usually I'm bugging him and he kindly responds. :)

Amber - for sending me an awesome picture of her post-workout sweat marks.  I'm serious.  Disgusting, dude.  Then, I gave her crap for sending me that instead of wishing me luck.  So she rapid fire sent: "well good luck!  Idk what on but...yah :)", "Be happpppy!!! And don't stress :)", "love love unity!", "Picture cute babies and puppies :)", "And chipmunks and rabbits!", "But mostly cute babies", "Oh and do well ;)", "Love you too:) What am I wishing you good luck on? Exam day?", [Me: "yes"], "Well good luck :) I know you'll do well :)".  Honestly, that girl is insane.  And I love her.

Mary - for saying lots of prayers for me today.  They were very much appreciated.

Mom - for always being my cheerleader.  25 years and counting!  She sent me that super cute card in the mail a few weeks ago and I'm pretty sure via phone she's the person I talk to the most.  Love you, mom!

Mackenzie - for being eager to see me succeed, and for being there for the high-five when it all works out.  Even when I was ready to give up on myself, you knew I had it in me to power through and be an awesome doctor (someday).  And for these awesome emails which I will share here because they are hilarious (edited, as per our "team name"):

Cheer up kid! You are going to kick butt on this test! And in case you were unsure of what exactly that entails I have provided a very credible definition from some reliable source on the trustworthy internet:

Kick (somebody's) butt
 : to punish someone or to defeat someone with a lot of force.

Kick (somebody's) butt also kick some butt
1. to fight someone and hurt them kick (somebody's) a$$
2. to defeat someone completely kick (somebody's) a$$
 Eg: Jasmin Darling is going to kick butt on her I&I test on Friday by answering ALL of the questions correctly and receiving a 100%!
See also: kick (some) butt (and take names) See: kick(some) a$$ (and take names)

And after you "KICK BUTT" you will be a winner like this:


BUT I think it will be more like this:

AKA RECORD BREAKING HISTORY ON BEST I&I TEST EVER TAKEN!!!!!!

Or like this kid... 

who scored his FIRST KISS with CARRIE UNDERWOOD! (that kid went back to middle school and instantly got the popular girl to be his gf!)


And in case you were worried... 


Call me maybe ;P
(I couldn't leave Ryan out of the email if Michael was in it... Ryan is so much hotter than Michael...just the truth. Either body would work though)  

Now cheer up and keep working hard! You are going to make it through this year and not just making it but THRIVING because you ARE SMART and ARE GOING TO BE A GREAT DOCTOR!  And I never lie so you know this is the truth!

Love
Mackenzie


And (sent to me & Steph):

So I have been told that you 2 have a little test tomorrow... so here's a little bit of GOOD LUCK headed your way!
But neither of you will need this LUCK because you both have BRAINS BEYOND BRAINS that are going to get A+++'s on this itty bitty test.


Good luck on your easy-peasy test tomorrow!


And ENJOY the WEEKEND!!!


Love Mackenzie


(And now we all know Mackenzie loves the swimmer body? I did get her permission before posting that!)

Stephanie - for getting through today's test right along with me.  This girl is strong, this girl has brains, and this girl can fight.  I'm so proud of what she has accomplished over the last 5 weeks and I'm so blessed to have her as my study buddy.

Vipul - for wishing me luck today via that awesome Facebook pic I posted.

Katie - for making me a believer in "get a good night's sleep before the exam" and for wishing me luck today.

Sam - for telling me over and over again that you know I can do this.  "I'm sure you'll do great :)"

Angela - for helping me stay positive about the situation I'm in and pretending to be excited with me about school-related things.  :)

Suzy - growing up, I always thought of Suzy as my "other mom" and now that I'm older and living in the area, I see Suzy more as a close friend.  Regardless of whether she considers me as her surrogate daughter (since hers are all out of the country) or as a friend (or both?) she's been very encouraging throughout my life, especially over these past few years.

And last but certainly not least, my wonderful husband, Kyle.  For supporting me in giving my career one more chance.  For telling me every day that "yes, it sucks, but you can do this."  For telling me I have beauty and brains, and that I'm going to be an amazing doctor someday.  For having faith in me when I don't have faith in myself.  For making me dinner every night this week.  For being excited with me for every excellent grade I've scored thus far this year.  For helping me think positively, for adjusting his life according to mine during exam weeks, and for helping me laugh when I'm stressed.  This man is so great, and I'm so thankful to have him by my side through it all.


Really, it's just nice to know that people are thinking of me.  That they care.  That they're on my side, right behind me, right underneath me, holding me up, pushing me forward, hoping for the best just like I am.

1 comment:

  1. i don't pretend, i am genuinely excited to hear about the things that happen in your life, whether they be school related or not ;)

    ReplyDelete