Friday night, we walked to a nearby sushi place to get dinner (half off!) with friends. It was Kristin's birthday and we actually got to sit next to her which was nice since I haven't seen her very much. Remember: almost everyone around the table was a medical student, which means the conversation was very...medicine. Usually I consciously try not to talk about medical school for Kyle's sake, but I hadn't seen everyone in several weeks and their big exam is coming up (this Friday). I thoroughly enjoyed hearing how much they've learned and how good/bad their experiences have been on the floor or in the OR. Kyle thoroughly enjoyed the sushi, so I call that a win-win! :)
Saturday morning we headed to Ann Arbor for some climbing! We first had to stop at a bike shop for Kyle's biking needs, but that took about a minute and a half. Rock Climbing is a lot of fun. I'm really glad we are incorporating it into our life because it's exercise, but there's also personal development and quality time together that we don't often get. I mean, we do date nights every week...but usually they involve some sort of TV show or movie. When we climb, we are trusting each other to belay properly (think: catch me if I fall), we help each other problem-solve, and we have lots of fun together! I think it's a great bonding experience that just so happens to be good for our bodies as well. Plus, Kyle loves it.
While climbing was pretty awesome, it was definitely a mistake to have not eaten breakfast before we went. We kind of didn't really have food at home, but that's not a good excuse. When we got there, we both ate Luna bars that I had packed (delicious, my favorites are the Chocolate Raspberry, Chocolate Peppermint Stick, and White Chocolate Macadamia - they are also the only ones I have tried...and they all include chocolate...) but it just wasn't enough. It was also pretty hot in there (they had the doors open and giant fans running, but as soon as you got 12 feet off the ground you were sweating) and the lack of energy was really hurting. Regardless, we pushed through and had fun. I made it to the top of all the 5.7 routes! Maybe next time I'll try a 5.8...but we'll see! Kyle always makes it look so easy, but when he gets down he informs me of how challenging it was. I love him. :)
Studying for the rest of Saturday was pretty terrible because I was so exhausted (but not sore, thankfully). I think I've convinced Kyle that if we are going to go climbing from now on, it should be at night so I can come home and sleep - no lost study time. I spent the evening reviewing/quizzing with Stephanie which was pretty much the only real studying I accomplished all day.
Sunday was spent in the library, but when I got home we watched The Way. It's streaming on Netflix and I really enjoyed it. Funny for most of it with some emotional moments (I cried, but that's just because I've been super emotional lately about the realism of family members dying); I definitely recommend watching it! It's nice to take a break from intensive studying and spend that time with Kyle. I think he spent that day watching The West Wing. Not really sure.
Monday morning, at the crack of dawn, I got myself out of bed, showered, and to Starbucks by 7:30am. Since it was Labor Day, the library didn't open until 1pm, and if I stayed home I knew I would get back in bed/not be productive. The best part of my morning (besides getting a massive amount of work accomplished) was overhearing the baristas telling an uninsured person about the "free clinic across the street at the community center". They were telling them about the services we have and praising it. I say "we" because that clinic is run by the CommunityCare Clinics, of which I am an Executive Board member for the second year in a row. I'm so happy that 1) we are helping our community and 2) word is getting out so we can serve the people who need it. *happiness*
I then spent my afternoon studying with Steph one last time, and came home to make a stew of sorts (I have determined Kyle makes better ones). On the way home, I saw this beauty out of the corner of my eye:
Folks, that is a double rainbow (check out the top left corner of the photo) and it was going from ground to ground. Pretty phenomenal! This was on my crappy phone camera, but it was so bright in the sky! By the time I told Kyle about it and he got our camera out, it was very faded and no more double rainbow. I loved it so much, though! It brought me such happiness! Even with all of the rainbow awesomeness, the highly of my evening was a 30 minute walk with Kyle. It was very simple, just walking around the neighborhood and commenting on various houses, but it was nice to be outdoors in a peaceful area, exercising. We weren't power walking, but we were at least not sedentary. I'm hoping we do this several times a week. It's a great break from studying, and I get to spend 30 minutes uninterrupted with Kyle. My favorite.
And to top off the weekend (well, technically Tuesday morning is no longer the extended weekend), I did really well on my quiz this morning. By really well I mean really well. So if you were worried about my lack of studying on Saturday, never fear! It worked out in the end. :)




No comments:
Post a Comment