PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Sneaky Sissy

Last night I went to bed super early (9:15pm) because I wanted to get up at 5am with Kyle.  I woke up this morning to an urgent text from Amber saying that she needed me and Emily to sing our duet of 'Strive' on Google+ and me record it on my computer in good quality by 5pm today.  Um, hellooo?! Who does she think we are...undergrads?  We don't have time for that!  Especially considering the fact that Emily is in a different time zone!  So I told her I couldn't do it and that I was sorry.

While I was still in the process of waking up I realized that maybe she needed it to teach a children's class this evening.  I was not about to deprive those poor kids of one of my favorite quotes-put-to-music, so I did the only thing I could think of.  I sang it by myself, in my pjs, before having a glass of water (I did brush my teeth), at 5:30am.  FIVE-THIRTY IN THE MORNING!  That's how much the children of the world mean to me.  Actually, that's a pretty poor example of how much they mean to me [try: I turned down two medical schools to have the opportunity to help the children of the world for a year].

I emailed that video to her (after multiple attempts since my computer randomly decides to record the audio slightly sooner than the video after two goes; solution: quit and restart Photobooth after every two video recordings) and then when I was at school later this morning I realized she might not check her email for whatever reason so I texted her saying what I did.  She was apparently still in bed, trying to sleep (9:15am, seriously?!), but informed me that she was going to use it for a devotional tonight.  She's the president of the OSU Bahá'í Student Association.  My response was basically 'You booger! Just sing it yourself! Or get the legit recording of the guy because all I'm doing is singing his version!' to which she said 'I don't always sing it as nice as you guys and I like your version better.'

So since she's about to share it with a bunch of OSU students, I figured I'd share it with you because you might actually share it with a child you know!


This is the direct quote: "Therefore strive that your actions day by day may be beautiful prayers. Turn towards God, and seek always to do that which is right and noble. Enrich the poor, raise the fallen, comfort the sorrowful, bring healing to the sick, reassure the fearful, rescue the oppressed, bring hope to the hopeless, shelter the destitute!" - `Abdu'l-Bahá (Paris Talks pg 79-81)

I recommend reading the entire talk from that day; the theme of the speech was "Good ideas must be carried into action".  So beautiful!

1 comment: