PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Study? I Think I'll Bake

Yesterday my sisters-in-law posted a delicious-looking recipe on their blog so while I was studying B cells and T cells in the library, I decided I would try to make it when I got home.  The recipe is very simple (and quick!) and we happened to have some apples which I don't remember why I purchased (we don't regularly eat apples; I don't pack them because if they're whole they are crunchy [a big library no-no] and if they are cut they get ugly).

Homemade Brown Sugar Apple Biscuits

This recipe is so good. As another study break, Kyle and I had a late night tea & biscuits date.  I think I ate three.  I halved the recipe and it still made 7 biscuits; my goal was to have small(er) portions because I have very little self control when it comes to yummy things.

You may have noticed a trend thus far this week: I'd rather be baking than studying.  You caught me!  Honestly, though, I like baking because it takes my mind off of everything else that is happening.  I focus in on making the best pie/cookies/cake/muffins I can at that moment and immunoglobulins, complement, and natural killer cells fall by the wayside.  I work hard for those 30 minutes and I get a tangible product which is delicious.  What a great reward!  I know the rewards from my hours of studying will come eventually, but this taste of instant gratification is something I can appreciate.  In undergrad I determined that I could not see myself as solely a researcher someday because of the much delayed reward (among other reasons).  I like the idea of being able to see change and progress in my patients.  I do, however, appreciate the far reaching results academic physicians can have on the world.

Will I be baking again tonight? Doubtful. But if I do, it will probably be a pumpkin pie. My favorite. And maybe I will not eat half of it right before heading in to my exam on Friday.

My last meal before my I&I final last year.

I did not realize that I did this right before my I&I final last year.  I just remembered that I ate it before an exam.  Crazy how history could repeat itself.  Oh - except for the grade, because this year I'm kicking booty!

No comments:

Post a Comment