PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Turkey Break Day 3

Wednesday Kyle headed off to his last day of work before Thanksgiving.  It's nice that we are able to stay at my parents' house and he has the same commute (maybe 5 minutes longer).  Amber and I had planned a fun girlie day together, starting with a trip to Joann's.  For the second half of our break, Kyle & I were heading to his mom's house where we would compete against his siblings in a family-run Chopped.  When we had spoken the previous weekend, Bre had mentioned making team t-shirts.  I double-checked with her and Jaleh before committing to any sort of team attire.  She said she was going to do it if I did, and I said I was only going to do it if she did.  Her response was "It's on.  Get makin'."  And that gets us back to Joann's.  I'm not good at making t-shirts.  I don't have that creativity to make a design or cool catch phrase.  I figured - if I'm going to make something, it should be something practical that will get more than one day of use.  Since we got a new grill (similar found here - I don't know why Kyle hasn't blogged about that yet), I decided Kyle should have an apron so he doesn't stain any of his nice clothing while grilling.  Jaleh bought me an apron for my birthday, so I already had one prepped and ready to go.  As I showed my mom my apron on Monday while she was at our apartment, she had a brilliant idea: make Kyle's have a tie to go with my ruffle-topped apron.  Cutest couple award?  I think so.  Or at least, it was something to strive for.  More on that will be revealed in the Day 5 post.

As we browsed navy blue fabrics, I was completely overwhelm.  I knew the feel of the weight I was looking for, but I had no idea what the name of such a fabric would be.  Broadcloth was too thin, canvas was too thick.  I went out on a limb and asked the lady behind the fabric-cutting counter what she recommended.  She didn't seem super confident, but she brought us over to a nice navy twill and I took a leap of faith.  I thought twill was something that clothes were made out of (as in, too nice of a material for an apron) but I really have no idea what I'm talking about.  We were going to buy some tan cloth for that tie that would match the tan of my apron, but when we were looking at the 15 different tan colored broadcloth bolts I was overwhelmed and nervous.  I didn't want to purchase the wrong color (oh the perfectionist in me), so I decided to postpone the purchase of the tan material until we came back to this area of town in the late afternoon.

On our way back home, we stopped at our favorite local coffee shop and Rite Aid to get some face mask goop.  The Rite Aid was right next to our old middle school which probably will no longer be there in a year.  They are building a brand new one (which is very massive and gorgeous looking) right behind it.

George House

While we were in Rite Aid, we searched up and down the aisles to find face mask creams.  We couldn't find the stuff anywhere!  Right as we were about to give up and head to Walmart (which Kyle & I try to avoid), we came across this shelf in the midst of various other products.  Specifically: below Aveeno and above kids'-bath-fun-goodies.  Woo hoo!  We ended up each grabbing a tube and Amber took two packets to use at school (and try the two types that we didn't get in tubes).

Finally found the face mask stuff.

A bad view of most of the new school.  It's very expansive.

Decent view of 2/3 of our old school as we drove by.

When we got home we set to work applying our face masks.  Mine was chocolate strawberry.  Amber thought she was applying the "peel away" mask she bought but afterwards realized it was the "de-stress" mask.  I used the excess of her packet to decorate my very boring brown.  While we waited for our masks to dry, we painted our nails!

Amber & I with our face masks on.  Pre-hardening.

My attempt at doing my toes without my glasses on.
I.e. I could not see; 100% by feel.

Our face masks had hardened.  So painful to smile/talk/laugh.

After our little at home spa treatments, we carefully removed our masks with warm water and a wash cloth before heading to the theater to see Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2.  Amber had already seen it and I couldn't even remember what happened in Part 1, but since Amber made me gave me the books to read while I was in Ethiopia (and there wasn't much else to read) and I had made the effort to see the movies, I felt this was my sisterly duty.  It was pretty hilarious!

When we got out of the movie we found out that Kyle was out of work and at our parents' house, but we needed to get the tan fabric from Joann's (we brought my apron to find the right color) and we had told Nan that we would stop by Red Lobster since she was working there.  Picking out the fabric was easy peasy and Nan was so surprised when she saw us!  It feels really nice to brighten someone's day.  She was an excellent hostess and gave a great recommendation for the appetizer.  Of course, when we saw the dessert menu we had to get something.

Mom, we did NOT eat this.

We then headed home for an evening of watching Castle and some other similar show while filling our tummies with mom's delicious roast.  Amber ended up passing out on the couch while she was reading a book on her phone, but we appreciated the subtle noises coming from her nasopharyngeal region.  Hilarious.  And now I have three witnesses the next time we are on a family vacation and she swears she doesn't snore.  Bwah hahaha.  In her defense, she was in a super awkward position on the couch.  Dad tickled her foot to get her to go to her bed.  Even more hilarity.

All in all, it was a very relaxing day with my lil sis and company.  I wish I could have done that for two more weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment